Participation in extracurricular activities, such as athletics, is a privilege and students must work to maintain high academic standards, attendance, and behavior. Students are expected to represent Mitchell Senior in a positive light and conduct themselves properly and display good sportsmanship. Athletics or school based activities are a privilege and the final decision regarding eligibility rests with the school administration.
Eligibility to participate in Athletics is based on the following criteria:
- Must have a 2.0 grade point average (GPA) or better on their last progress report or report card.
- May not have more than one “F” on their last progress/report card
- Must have a current physical on file with the athletic director prior to trying out and/or participating
- Athletes are not eligible to “try-out” for, or participate in, team activities for ten (10) school days following a one (1) day home suspension, or twenty (20) school days following a two (2) or more day home suspension. The “temporary suspension” from team activities begins the first day of the suspension.
- Any athlete under in-school suspension may not practice, travel or compete during dates of suspension.
- Athletes who have multiple classroom or school-wide behavior concerns during any one quarter may become ineligible for the remainder of the quarter.
- Excessive absences (20) or tardiness (7) may result in students being removed from Athletic teams or school-sponsored activities.
- Athletes must attend the complete school day on the days of practice/contest unless pre-approval was granted by administration. Students who fail to attend school will not be allowed to practice or participate in that day’s contest.
- A student with a parent or doctor’s note excusing them from PE will not be allowed to participate in athletics until the clearance date.
- School administration may remove any player from any athletic team or school sponsored event for academic or behavior issues that arise.